Everyone wants to lose weight quickly, but unfortunately there is no magic pill that can make you thin in a month (trust me on this). In fact, I always tell my clients that weight loss is a bonus of getting healthy. Most people that are overweight are rarely just overweight. There are usually other health issues associated with it (elevated A1C, digestive issues, etc). So, by lowering inflammation, weight loss can happen. In the meantime though, there are several ways that you can jumpstart your weight loss by increasing your metabolism. They are:
- Keep yourself hydrated. This is the most basic and truly the easiest way to jumpstart your weight loss. Drinking a lot of water and herbal teas will help you flush all the harmful toxins from your body. Good hydration boosts your metabolism by improving the efficiency of your thyroid functioning. Drinking a lot of water, especially first thing in the morning, will also curb your hunger and prevent you from binge eating. So, rule of thumb? Half your body weight in ounces daily.
- Get enough sleep. Your diet, your workout, and all the water that you consume will go to waste if you fail to get enough quality sleep. Good sleep helps to keep your hormones and your mood balanced. Getting those hormones in check help your body function more efficiently and will keep all your unnecessary cravings at bay. Make sure to give yourself a peaceful night of at least eight hours.
- Warm lemon water. Drinking warm lemon water early in the morning before breakfast helps fire up your metabolism. Not to mention- it tastes good! For an added boost? Throw in a little raw apple cider vinegar (just make sure it contains the “mother” for maximum benefit). Try to get 2 glasses in first thing upon waking.
- Spice is the key. Spicy food burns more calories during digestion because it can fire up your metabolism. Add a few more spicy foods, like hot peppers, to your diet. Throw jalepenos in your eggs, add some cayenne to your smoothie, etc. Spices also add a ton of flavor with little to no calories, so load up on ’em!
- Intermittent fasting. Now I’m not talking about randomly skipping meals, but actually being methodical about it. If you’re currently eating up until bed time, and then eat breakfast first thing, chances are you aren’t giving your body enough time to ‘relax.’ Consider stopping meals earlier, and/or eating breakfast later. Start with a 12hr fast, then build up to 14 or 16hrs, depending on how you feel. This one boosts your metabolism but is also fabulous for energy and chronic illness.
Losing weight is not meant to be an expeditious activity; your body does not function that way. These tips should be practiced along with a healthy diet and exercise for best results, but they may be able to give your body that little extra boost it needs to power into weight loss mode.
If you’re in more need of tips, tricks, or even recipes, come join the Busy Mom’s Wellness Tribe! We do live trainings weekly and it’s a great group of supportive women 🙂 We’d love to have you! CLICK HERE TO JOIN US.